Better Business Bureau is proud to announce its semiannual free Sacramento shredding event raised over $1,100 for the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Sacramento
and helped over 130 local residents shred sensitive documents.
Securely shredding documents is an important step in the process of protecting your identity. Join us for our next shred event on Saturday, October 20, 2012 in Sacramento!
To protect your identity year round, consider the following tips:
1. Check your credit reports every year. Free reports can be requested at www.annualcreditreport.com
. Under Federal Law, you are entitled to view each of your three reports once each year.
2. Check your earnings statement. If someone secures a job using your social security number, the wages earned will be reported in your annual earnings statement from the U.S. Social Security Administration.
3. Don't carry sensitive documents in your wallet. Keep your social security card and rarely used credit cards in a safe place at home.
4. Store important electronic documents externally and not on your computer.
5. Review monthly financial statements. Be sure you can account for all charges on all accounts.
As a business-supported nonprofit organization, Better Business Bureau's mission is to promote an ethical marketplace. BBB sets standards for ethical business behavior, helps consumers identify reliable businesses through BBB Business Reviews, sets standards for truthful advertising, evaluates and provides reviews of charities, educates consumers, and offers dispute resolution services. More than 87 million consumers rely on BBB for Business Reviews, consumer tips and scam alerts. To learn more, please visit www.necal.bbb.org.